IAAF stops Nigeria’s Oduduru from competing at Doha 2019, Okagbare too may be barred

first_imgRelatedPosts Tokyo 2020 Olympics: Okowa adopts Okagbare, Ese Brume, four others Oduduru joins the growing list of athletes Visa is supporting for Tokyo 2020 Dare promises to pay outstanding athletes allowances, AFN hails him                     Nigerian sprinter Divine Oduduru will no longer compete at the 2019 World Championships in Doha. Oduduru’s name was not included on the start list of the men’s 200m race scheduled for Sunday. The second fastest African man did not compete in the 100m race, though his name was added to the schedule and was expected to feature in Heat 5 on Friday. According to the International Association of Athletics Federations, any athlete who withdraws from an event after being confirmed in the final entry list will have to forfeit subsequent events. The Athletics Federation of Nigeria had in a tweet on Friday explained that the athlete had pulled out of 100m to concentrate on the 200m. The same rule could also apply in the case of Blessing Okagbare, who also pulled out of the 100m women’s heats on Saturday. The AFN also gave the same reason for her non-participation in the race. Meanwhile, the IAAF was yet to release on Saturday night the start list for the women’s 200m expected to begin on Monday. It is therefore difficult to ascertain Okagbare’s position at the moment. Emmanuel Arowolo, with a Personal Best of 20.37 and listed in Heat 5, will now be the country’s hopes in the men’s 200m. In the men’s 400m hurdles, Rilwan Alowonle could not scale through to the finals as he finished eighth with 52.01secs in Heat 3. Nigeria’s sole representative in the 100m men, Raymond Ekevwo, also did not qualify for the finals of the event, with a 10.20secs to finish fifth in Heat 1.Tags: Athletics Federation of NigeriaBlessing OkagbareDivine OduduruInternational Association of Athletics FederationsRilwan Alowonlelast_img read more

Read More →

HiFL to produce more Odegbamis for football development in Nigeria — Organisers

first_imgRelatedPosts FIFA ban: Odegbami cries for help for Siasia 2021 AFCON Qualifier: Super Eagles’ victory over Lesotho will boost their morale — Odegbami Odegbami wants Obafemi Awolowo Stadium (Liberty Stadium) returned to Oyo Olamide Adeyemo, the Chief Operating Officer, Page Sports and Entertainment, on Friday said the competition was on the threshold of producing more of ex-international in the likes of Segun Odegbami for the development of football in Nigeria.The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Page Sports and Entertainment are the organisers of the Higher Institution Football League, a competitive league among the higher institutions in Nigeria.Adeyemo in an interview with NAN on the sidelines of the press briefing to herald the Super 4 finals of the HiFL, said products from the league were making waves in the professional league.The HiFL will climax on Friday with the final match between University of Calabar and University of Agriculture Markurdi.Also, the three-month old league will have a third place match between Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife and University of Ilorin.Adeyemo said the competition had already provided the platform for the players to latch onto for a better footballing career along their blossoming educational pursuit.He said: “While in the past, many talked about Segun Odegbami, but now we can as well count more professionals that are products of this league playing in the Nigeria Professional Football League.“We have names such as Emmanuel Ogbole, Ebuka Odenigbo, Ani Imade and the rest of them already playing professional football.“This has been achieved in less than a year and we already have some of the biggest names in Nigeria’s football.“I believe other things will fall in places.”Adeyemo said the competition now in its second edition was on course to develop football in the higher institution and also bring back the memories of elite football.He said: “The competition is getting bigger, bolder and better every year.“We are on course to delivering to Nigeria the best of higher institution football competition.“As it stands now, HiFL is the biggest collegiate sports in Africa because other leagues are just like eight or six team leagues.“The brand of HiFL is beginning to have impacts on the development of football in our higher institution because when we started we had only 16 teams, but we have seen it grown to 32 teams.“Also for us, it is not only for expanding the scope of the competition, but also building a sustainable brand, a quality assurance and of course the best to the stakeholders.”Adeyemo said part of the gains of the league in the development of football in the higher institutions was the partnerships with the Premiership Club giant, Manchester City FC, which provided technical support.He said: “Part of the gains is the partnerships with the Manchester City FC that provided coaching clinic and the partnerships from the La Liga.“This is our commitments to the development of football in Nigeria.”NAN reports that the final of the HiFL between University of Calabar and University of Agriculture Markurdi will be played on Saturday at Agege Stadium at 3pm.The Third Place match between the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife and University of Ilorin, Ilorin will also take place at the same venue at 12pm. Tags: HiFLOlamide AdeyemoSegun Odegbamilast_img read more

Read More →

FIFA U-17 World Cup: How Said’s hat trick powered Golden Eaglets to Round of 16

first_imgRelatedPosts Ex-Falcons, Golden Eaglets coach dies in Osun Breaking: Netherland send Eaglet packing from FIFA U17 World Cup FIFA U17 World Cup: Eaglets to battle Netherlands in last-16 Nigeria became the first team to reach the Round of 16 of the 2019 FIFA U17 World Cup finals in Brazil on Tuesday night on the back of a superlative hat trick by forward Ibrahim Sa’id. Two goals in five second half minutes turned the table against a well-organized and cohesive Ecuador in Goiania.Sa’id put Nigeria in front after only five minutes as goalkeeper Lopez made a hash of an attempted pass to his defender. An alert Sa’id intercepted and slotted past Lopez from outside the box.The lively and tactically-disciplined South Americans were level five minutes later, as Mejia turned Ferdinand Ikenna from just outside the box and pulled the trigger. The ball grazed the upright and then went into the net off the back of goalkeeper Daniel Jinadu.The Eaglets had endeavour, enthusiasm and pace, but were easily checkmated by the strong and highly coordinated Ecuadorians. Two minutes to the end of the first period, substitute Akinkunmi Amoo found Sa’id in the box, but the latter could not get the decisive touch needed to pull Nigeria level before the break.Nine minutes into the second half, Ecuador were awarded a penalty by the Video Assistant Referee as Charles Etim had a slight contact with an advancing Ecuadorian attacker in a melee. Johan Mina sent Jinadu the wrong way to put the South Americans in the lead.The Eaglets, five-time world champions, pushed, searched and frisked with determination, just as they did against Hungary in their first match before scoring three goals in six minutes in the second half to beat the Europeans 4-2 and bag the three points at stake.Short and stray passes in the opposition’s critical zone, anxiety and wayward shooting did not help the Eaglets’ search for goals as time wore on.However, substitutes Ibraheem Jabaar and Amoo had come close and captain Samson Tijani had fired over the bar before Sa’id drew Nigeria level in the 85th minute with a sweet, angled drive after receiving a pass from Jabaar.Four minutes later, it was Sa’id again, blasting past Lopez from inside the box from a determined team move. Lopez got his hand to the ball but it was too hot to halt its flight into the net.Jabaar went to the ground when he should have scored and Olakunle Olusegun shot narrowly wide in added time, but the Eaglets picked their three points for a maximum six in two matches and will await their opponents in the Round of 16, even as they travel to Brasilia for their last Group B game against Australia on Friday night. Tags: Golden Eagletslast_img read more

Read More →

World Cup winning De Rossi retires at 36

first_imgRelatedPosts Pedro pens three-year Roma deal Tevez signs new deal with Boca Juniors US billionaire buys Roma in £532m deal Italy World Cup winner Daniele de Rossi has announced his retirement at the age of 36. De Rossi has left Argentine side Boca Juniors, who he joined in the summer, and ends an 18-year career. Prior to joining Boca, De Rossi spent his entire career at Serie A club Roma, who he played for 616 times. The Italian, who won the World Cup in 2006, told a news conference he was retiring to spend more time with his family. “I played against the best in the world and I was able to do the career I wanted,” De Rossi said. “I am happy with my life, I played on two teams that I really love. One meant everything and the other got me inside as I expected.” De Rossi is Italy’s fourth most-capped player with 117 caps and Francesco Totti is the only player to have made more appearances for Roma than the midfielder. He rejected an offer of a director’s role at Roma at the end of last season and signed for Boca to continue his playing career, but he has been limited to just six appearances, largely because of injury. “An absolutely fantastic football career comes to an end,” Roma said. “Thank you for so many incredible memories, Daniele.”Tags: Boca JuniorsDaniele De RossiRomalast_img read more

Read More →

Schalke 04’s US-born player wears ‘Justice for George’ armband

first_imgRelatedPosts Whirlwind Bayern Munich dismantle Schalke in season opener Visa Ban: Kogi Government petitions US US-based woman loses millions to scammers in Abuja land deals Schalke 04’s Weston McKennie showed support on Saturday for protests in the US, sparked by the death of an unarmed black man in the hands of a white police officer in Minneapolis.The 21-year-old US-born McKennie wore an armband with the message: “Justice for George,” during Saturday’s 1-0 Bundesliga defeat at home to Werder Bremen. A photo of McKennie wearing the armband was published by Schalke 04’s official account for the US, with the message: “#JusticeForGeorge.”Various American sports stars had previously shown support for the protesters after the death of 46-year-old George Floyd at the hands of the police this week.dpa/NAN.Tags: Derek ChauvinGeorge FloydSchalke 04United StatesWerder BremenWeston McKennielast_img read more

Read More →

Espanyol all but relegated after defeat by visiting Leganes

first_imgRelatedPosts Bale completes Tottenham return from Real Madrid Live stream Premier League, La Liga, Serie A on Showmax Pro this weekend Omeruo welcomes second child Bottom side Espanyol were left on the brink of being relegated from La Liga for the first time in 27 years on Sunday.This was after they were beaten 1-0 at home by fellow strugglers Leganes, when Jonathan Silva struck the only goal for the visitors early in the second half. He controlled a long ball and entered the penalty box unmarked to lash past Espanyol goalkeeper Diego Lopez.The Catalans had substitute Jonathan Calleri sent off in the 88th minute after successive bookings for a foul and arguing with the referee.Striker Raul de Tomas missed a glorious chance to level moments later when his effort flew over the bar.Espanyol, who have been in the top flight since winning promotion in 1994, are on 24 points after 34 games.They are 11 points adrift of the safety zone and their fate could be sealed on Monday if 17th-placed Eibar win at Sevilla. Should they survive that test they will need to beat champions FC Barcelona on Wednesday to avoid relegation.Leganes stayed 19th but moved on to 28 points, seven from getting out of the drop zone.In other games, Getafe’s hopes of qualifying for the UEFA Champions League faded further after they could only draw 0-0 at Osasuna.The draw left Getafe sixth on 53 points, four behind fourth-placed Sevilla who have a game in hand.Reuters/NAN. Tags: EspanyolLa LigaLeganeslast_img read more

Read More →

Messi hits Back at Barca over €700m release clause

first_imgRelatedPosts Suarez agrees Atletico terms Barca president Bartomeu says he won’t go to war anymore with Messi Bale completes Tottenham return from Real Madrid Lionel Messi has refused to admit defeat in his attempt to move from Barcelona to Manchester City this summer reiterating his claim that he does not have a £629 million (€700m) release clause.Messi’s lawyers issued a statement on Friday that appears to quote directly from his contract. The lawyers stated: “The release clause will not apply when the unilateral resolution of the contract comes into effect after the end of the 2019-20 season.”The statement also slammed La Liga for wading in on the debate last week and claiming Barcelona were right to demand £629 million from anyone who wanted to sign Barcelona’s captain.“We don’t know what contract they have analysed,” it said. Also condemning their ‘obvious impartiality’ in the matter.The statement from Messi’s lawyers suggest he has given up on the idea that he is free to leave the club.But he is entrenched in his belief that there is no release clause. That changes things drastically for Manchester City.Messi could now tear up his contract and let a tribunal decide his transfer fee.Or Barcelona could accept that Messi has the stomach for a legal battle they would not benefit from, and sit down with Manchester City to negotiate Messi’s transfer.It comes after days of talks between club president Josep Bartomeu and the player’s father Jorge as both sides continue to seek a resolution over his future.Messi Snr admitted it would be “difficult” for his son to stay at the Nou Camp but the club reportedly pleaded with him to persuade the player to commit his future for another year – raising hopes he could perform a dramatic U-turn. Last month the player told his boyhood side he wanted to leave by burofax after a dismal season and believed he could walk away for nothing thanks to a clause in his contract.Tags: BarcelonaLa LigaLionel MessiManchester Citylast_img read more

Read More →

Online channel to cover racing

first_img Leo Varadkar, Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport, said: “This is particularly important as it is the first joint collaboration between Horse Sport Ireland and Horse Racing Ireland and is a very valuable tool in promoting Ireland as the Land Of The Horse.” Managing director of Irish Horse TV, Len Regan, said: “We are very excited about the collaboration with HRI and HSI as it brings all equestrian pursuits together at one easily accessible source. “People can watch Irish Horse TV any time of the day or night on their PC, laptop, on their smart phone, iPhone, iPad or any other device connected to the internet so you can keep up with your favourite sport and industry news.” Irish Horse TV will cover Flat and jump racing, though not live, and will also feature the Olympic disciplines of show jumping, eventing and dressage as well as other equestrian pursuits, targeting both a domestic and an international audience. The launch was attended by more than 150 people including jockey Paul Carberry, trainer Jim Bolger, Olympic eventer Camilla Speirs and Paralympic medallist Helen Kearney. Press Associationcenter_img A new online TV channel dedicated to Irish racing and horse sport activities was launched on Tuesday at The K Club in County Kildare.last_img read more

Read More →

Mayo battle back to beat Cork

first_img Mayo came from behind to defeat reigning champions Cork by 0-11 to 0-10 at Pairc Ui Chaoimh. Cillian O’Connor steered over a late winning free for the westerners, who had started the day with the threat of relegation hanging over them. Dublin will play Mayo and Tyrone will take on Kildare in the NFL semi-finals, as a result of a dramatic day of action. Daniel Goulding, Fintan Goold and Aidan Walsh shot the Rebels into a 0-7 to 0-1 lead, but second half scores from Donal Vaughan, O’Connor and Kevin McLoughlin helped Mayo claw their way back, before they stole a late winner. Kerry retained their Division One status after posting their best performance of the league with a 1-16 to 1-12 win over Tyrone at Healy Park. Tomas O Se’s 32nd minute goal, and a seven points tally shared between Declan O’Sullivan and Kieran Donaghy, sent wind-assisted Kerry in with a 1-13 to 0-5 interval lead Stephen O’Neill netted for Tyrone, and points from Conor Gormley and Conor Clarke and a Mark Donnelly goal narrowed the gap from 12 to one. All-Ireland champions Donegal were relegated to Division Two, along with Down. Dublin’s Paul Mannion scored a late equaliser to give Dublin a 1-10 to 0-13 draw with Donegal and secure top spot in the league table for the Dubs. center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Read More →

Do not taunt Di Canio, fans warned

first_imgNewcastle United fans have been warned by police not to taunt Paolo Di Canio, the manager of hated rivals Sunderland, with fascist salutes. The North East Premier League clubs meet on Sunday at St James’ Park, with supporters from both sides relishing the chance to mock the other, but police have warned fans against using racist or offensive gestures during the derby match. Ahead of the Tyne-Wear derby, operations commander chief superintendent Steve Neill, said: “Offensive gestures, particularly those with a suggestion of racist connotations, are completely unacceptable and we will take positive action against anyone seen acting in an offensive or racist manner.” Di Canio’s controversial appointment led former Foreign Secretary David Miliband to step down from Sunderland’s board because of the Rome-born manager’s “past political statements”. Di Canio, 44, was fined and handed bans for making right-arm salutes to fans in 2005 when he was a Lazio player. Since he joined Sunderland as Martin O’Neill’s replacement, he issued a statement denying he was a racist adding “I do not support the ideology of fascism”. Neill added: “While some individuals may see this sort of behaviour as a means of poking fun at opposing fans – it is not a joke. “Offensive behaviour can constitute a criminal offence and such behaviour is taken seriously. “Football matches are routinely monitored by CCTV and even if action is not taken during the match, it can be checked retrospectively and we have demonstrated on numerous previous occasions our ability to trace offenders and put them before the courts, which can lead to a criminal record and possible football banning order. “I would urge fans to act responsibly and reflect upon the impact any form of disorder or offensive behaviour has on others, themselves, the reputation of both clubs and the North East.” center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Read More →