Republican Party asks Supreme Court to halt count in Pennsylvania

There are 20 Electoral College votes at stake in Pennsylvania. If Biden, who currently has won a projected 253 electoral votes from other states, wins the popular vote in Pennsylvania, he would be projected as the winner in the race for the White House, according to NBC News’s current analysis.A candidate must win at least 270 votes in the Electoral College to be elected president.Trump had been leading Biden in Pennsylvania’s ongoing ballot count until Friday morning, when Biden pulled ahead of the Repubilcan president because of his strong performance in a count of mail-in ballots. – Advertisement – The U.S. Supreme Court building in Washington, November 5, 2020.Erin Scott | Reuters The Republican Party of Pennsylvania on Friday asked the U.S. Supreme Court to halt an ongoing count of mail-in ballots received in that state after Election Day, a move that came hours after Democratic nominee Joe Biden overtook President Donald Trump in the vote tally there.The party is asking the Supreme Court to order the Pennsylvania secretary of state to log and segregate those ballots, but to take no other action on them, including counting them, for now.The GOP is seeking to overturn an extension of the Election Day deadline for the receipt of mail-in ballots that was granted by the Pennsylania Supreme Court.- Advertisement – – Advertisement –center_img Biden was outpacing Trump in both Democratic and Republican-leaning counties’ counts of mail-in ballots.This is breaking news. Check back for updates. – Advertisement – read more

Read More →

Deutsche to handle Wembley sale

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Read More →

LSH snatches Vigers to raise Asian profile

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

Read More →

East Nusa Tenggara to close border with Timor Leste over coronavirus fears

first_imgThe government of Timor Leste has expressed support for East Nusa Tenggara’s (NTT) decision to temporarily close its border checkpoints to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, Antara news agency reported.”We strongly support the move as it would protect both the Timor Leste and NTT people from COVID-19 exposure,” the Timor Leste consul in Kupang, Jesuino Dos Reis Matas C, said Monday during a meeting to discuss the matter with NTT Governor Viktor Bungtilu Laisdokat, as quoted by Antara. Timor Leste has yet to report any COVID-19 case, Jesuino said, but he assured that the government was implementing strict health checks on inbound visitors.It was agreed during Monday’s meeting that the border would be closed for two months. Timor Leste, however, expressed hope the policy would not affect the distribution of staple food and fuel oil to the country through border areas.NTT administration spokesperson Marius Ardu Jelamu said on Saturday that the administration would soon issue a decree to regulate the posts’ closure.”All of the posts will be guarded by security officers. This move is to be taken to prevent the spread of the virus,” Marius said. (vny)Topics :last_img read more

Read More →

Governor Wolf Signs Bill to Help Individuals with Disabilities Save for Future Expenses

first_imgGovernor Wolf Signs Bill to Help Individuals with Disabilities Save for Future Expenses Bill Signing,  Healthcare,  Human Services,  Press Release,  Results Harrisburg, PA — Governor Wolf today signed into law the Pennsylvania Achieving a Better Life Experience Act (PA ABLE) that enables the creation of tax-exempt savings accounts specifically for people with qualified disabilities and their families. The accounts can be used for a wide-range of disability-related expenses including health care, housing, and transportation without jeopardizing eligibility for important programs on which individuals with disabilities must often depend.“My administration is committed to promoting and encouraging independence, community-based supports and services, and employment for individuals with a disability,” said Governor Wolf. “Pennsylvanians with disabilities can now achieve greater fiscal self-sufficiency, without the risk of impacting their eligibility for benefits. I am proud to sign this bill today and continue our work to help individuals with disabilities stay in their homes and communities.”U.S. Senator Bob Casey led efforts to win Congressional passage of the federal ABLE Act, which authorized states to establish tax-exempt savings accounts modeled on section 529 of the Internal Revenue Code, which recognizes state-established savings programs to meet future college expenses. Pennsylvania Treasury has been administering the Pennsylvania 529 program since 1993 and will administer the ABLE Program.“From the time I and other members of Congress began working on the ABLE Act, it was rooted in a belief that we all share: that those with disabilities have a lot of ability,” said Senator Casey. “I believe that every child is born with a light inside of them, and that it’s the abiding obligation of all those in public office to do all we can to help that light shine. I commend Governor Wolf, Senator Lisa Baker of Luzerne County, and all the members of the General Assembly for their work in making ABLE a reality in Pennsylvania.”“Thank you to Senator Casey, Governor Wolf and the legislature for their cooperative efforts in working with Treasury to make the PA ABLE Savings Account Program a reality,” said Pennsylvania Treasurer Timothy Reese. “Treasury has already started working with all the stakeholders to make the program operational and promote ABLE accounts so we can soon help ease the financial burdens facing people with disabilities.”Under the new law benefits of the program include:Savings of up to $14,000 each year.Tax-free growth.Use of the account to pay for a wide range of disability-related expenses.Federal and state income tax-free withdrawals when used for qualified disability expenses.Exemption from Pennsylvania inheritance tax.“ABLE accounts will encourage more individuals to work and save money without losing their benefits,” said Department of Human Services Secretary Ted Dallas. “We want to ensure that all commonwealth residents can to be as independent as possible, working at fulfilling jobs that pay and setting money aside for savings. The ABLE Act can help more Pennsylvania residents to live the American dream.”Significantly, for many individuals with disabilities, ABLE savings are excluded from eligibility determinations for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits (savings up to $100,000), other means-tested federal programs, Medical Assistance, and other state means-tested disability and health benefits.Treasury has created a website with more information on the ABLE program and where those interested can sign up for updates and open an account when the program is available. Treasury will work with other state agencies and disability support and advocacy organizations to create a savings program that will serve the very diverse needs of individuals with disabilities and their families. The goal is to offer the program in the fourth quarter of 2016.# # # SHARE Email Facebook Twittercenter_img April 18, 2016last_img read more

Read More →

80% of German institutions ‘have no exposure to alternatives’

first_imgRegulations, costs, and illiquidity are proving to be barriers for German institutions’ allocations to alternative asset classes, a survey has shown.There was “no clear upwards trend” to more alternative asset classes among mandates issued by German institutions last year, according to a Spezialfonds survey by German rating company Telos.For 17 years the group has been studying the demand for Spezialfonds, which are optimised for the reporting and investment needs of German institutional investors.While diversification is “a clear trend” and institutions are seeking “more specialised mandates”, the researchers did not see a significant increase in demand for alternatives. “There was only a limited number of investors with several funds, while around 80% of the surveyed institutions are not invested in alternatives at all,” the researchers said.Overall, roughly a quarter of investors had an exposure to private equity, but less than 10% held hedge funds – similar to the numbers from previous years.A third of portfolios contained infrastructure, compared to a quarter a year earlier. However, the average exposure to this asset class stood at 1.1%.Those that did have exposure to alternatives increased their investments in these assets via Spezialfonds to 10% in 2016, compared to 4% the year before.Over the next two years, more of the surveyed investors than in previous years said they wanted to increase their exposures to commodities and currencies – but only if they are allowed to do so.German institutional investors fall under different legal frameworks, some of which are more restrictive than others when it comes to investing in alternatives, especially illiquid investments.With this finding, the survey echoed a criticism on regulation by Andreas Hilka from the Hoechst Pensionskasse during a summit in Vienna last week.The Telos researchers also looked at costs and fees for Spezialfonds. Their calculations showed that the fees for mandates differed greatly.“Regrettably the question of costs is pushed very much into the focus in tenders nowadays,” they said.Only 17% of respondents to the survey were “content” or “very content” with the cost levels of their managers. The vast majority (74%) said they were “neutral”, while only 8% said outright that they were “dissatisfied”.The report stated that transparency on costs in Germany had increased as investors used tender platforms and consultants more frequently.In total, around €1.48trn was managed for institutional investors in German Spezialfonds and a few institutional segments within mutual funds at the end of 2016, Telos noted.This marked an increase of almost 10% in 12 months.Given their size, insurers still account for the largest part of the assets in Spezialfonds, followed by pension funds and Versorgungswerke.Looking back over the last decade, Telos calculated a 114% increase in institutional money managed by the German fund industry.last_img read more

Read More →

Rosneft cuts oil output with an eye to ramping up again

first_imgBy Vladimir Soldatkin and Katya GolubkovaMOSCOW (Reuters) – Russia’s Rosneft is ready to resume full oil output quickly once OPEC-led cuts end as the country’s top producer has focused its own cuts on newer fields, its chief executive has said.Those cuts run until June 30, though oil ministers from OPEC and non-OPEC countries meeting in Vienna this week are expected to agree to extend a deal that has seen 22 countries reduce global output by 1.8 million barrels per day (bpd) since January 1.“Restrictions (under the OPEC deal) are mainly applied to greenfields,” Rosneft Chief Executive Igor Sechin told reporters last week, referring to newer oil fields.“We will maintain mature fields as they are and won’t cut production there,” he said. “Our priority will be maintaining mature fields.”Mature fields require the pumping of gas or liquid to increase crude flows and once that is halted, it takes time to restore the pressure. That is less of an issue at new fields, where the flow rate is usually higher.STRUCTURE OF CUTSRosneft, the world’s top listed oil company by output, accounts for around 40 percent of Russia’s crude production.It has targeted its cuts at its Tagul, Suzun and Vankor fields in the so-called Vankor cluster which is relatively new, among other sites, according to a source familiar with the matter who did not want to be identified.The cuts did not touch mature units such as Yuganskneftegaz, Rosneft’s largest, the source said.A company quarterly report in May showed that production fell at nearly all of Rosneft’s fields, both mature and newer, compared to the fourth quarter of 2016.However, the source said that in the case of mature fields such as Yugansk, production was affected by unusually cold weather, not deliberate steps to lower output.“As part of the (OPEC and non-OPEC) deal, Rosneft has cut its production at new projects, while the company’s strategy is aimed at development of mature fields,” Rosneft said in emailed comments to Reuters.“This allows for boosting the efficiency of brownfields development, increase production at West Siberia fields and to raise greenfields’ output in the shortest time once the pricing environment improves.”According to energy ministry data, which excludes some Rosneft units, the company’s average output in April was down by 116,000 bpd compared to October, the reference month for the deal.Russia promised a total cut of 300,000 bpd.Rosneft, which produced an average of 4.62 million bpd in January-March, saw output in the first quarter fall by 12.5 million barrels or 2.9 percent from the previous three months.LOSING MOMENTUMAt other Russian oil companies, cuts in production have come primarily from mature fields, industry sources said.But they said steps were being taken so that output could be ramped up as quickly as possible.Mid-size oil company Russneft, whose shareholders include commodities trader Glencore , has mainly mature fields. It told Reuters in emailed comments that one or two months would be enough to get back to previous production levels.A geologist working with a major Russian oil company, who did not want his name or the name of his employer published, said the output cuts were mainly done at high-rate wells where production could be restored in around a month.Russian oil companies often drill high-rate wells at mature fields in a bid to maintain or, where possible, increase production.“If it wasn’t for the restrictions (on global output), we would now not be at October levels… but higher,” a high-ranking oil industry executive said. “We have not just simply cut, we are losing the growth momentum.”Russia ramped up its output to an all-time peak of 11.247 million bpd in October, with output for the month averaging 11.23 million bpd.(Additional reporting by Oksana Kobzeva and Olesya Astakhova; editing by Katya Golubkova and Jason Neely)last_img read more

Read More →

Army: Arrest of top-ranking rebels ‘huge blow’ to NPA

first_imgMilitary and police troops seize firearms explosives, cash, and other items from four officials of the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army who were arrested in Kabankalan City, Negros Occidental on July 10. Major Gen Eric Vinoya, commander of the Philippine Army’s 3rd Infantry Division, called the arrest a huge blow to the communist-terrorist group. 15TH INFANTRY BATTALION, PHILIPPINE ARMY VIA PNA Major Cenon Pancito III, chief of 3ID’s Public Affairs Office, said he was not surprised by Magbanua’s denial since the communist-terrorists are masters at making excuses. BACOLOD City – A top official of the Philippine Army (PA) considered the arrest of four suspected rebels in this province as a “huge blow” to the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army (CPP-NPA). According to the PA, Cañares is the current secretary of the Second National Urban Center Party Committee while Buga-ay, a former squad leader and finance logistics officer of the Regional Strike Forces of the Kilusang Rehiyon-Negros (KR-N), is now with the KR-N Regional Communication along with Morino and Patajo.In a statement, NPA Apolinario Gatmaitan Command spokesman Juanito Magbanua denied the four are CPP-NPA officials. “If indeed, they believe that these people are not their allies, then they should condemn them for violating the laws and for terrorizing the people,” he added. Major General Eric Vinoya, commander of the 3rd Infantry Division (ID) and the Armed Forces’ Joint Task Force Spear in Western and Central Visayas, said Tuesday the successful law enforcement operation was an essential part of the government campaign to end the violence and terrorism perpetrated by the NPA.Arrested by joint military and police troops in Barangay Magballo, Kabankalan City on July 10 were Emmylou Cañares, 38, a resident of South Poblacion, San Fernando, Cebu; George Buga-ay, 42, of Barangay Punta Taytay here; Relyn Morino, 22, a resident of Barangay Orong, Kabankalan City; and Raffy Patajo, 21, of Sitio Montelo, Barangay Pinggot, Ilog.The four suspected rebels yielded a .45-caliber pistol, .38-caliber revolver loaded with five rounds of ammunition, four hand grenades, several mobile phones, USB flash drives, and cash amounting to P119,354, among others. Pancito said now that the CPP-NPA is “crippled by the series of combined operations against their group, they know what this government can do to paralyze their movement.”Cañares and Morino are facing charges for violation of Republic Act 10591, or the Comprehensive Firearms and Ammunition Regulation Act and RA 9516, or the Illegal Possession of Explosives while Buga-ay for RA 10591 and Patajo for RA 9516. (With a report from PNA/PN)last_img read more

Read More →

Hughton: Ruddy ready to push Hart

first_img Ruddy was selected in Roy Hodgson’s squad for the matches against Moldova next Friday and Ukraine the following Tuesday, along with Hart and Celtic’s uncapped Fraser Forster. Hodgson has backed Hart despite the goalkeeper being blamed for his part in Manchester City’s shock 3-2 defeat by Cardiff on Sunday and being at fault for the first goal as England beat Scotland 3-2 earlier this month. Hughton, however, insists Ruddy, who missed a large chunk of last season when he underwent an operation on a thigh injury, is in the sort of form to put real pressure on Hart. Hughton said: “Any player that goes on international duty is there on merit and to challenge and to play. “If I look at the progress he (Ruddy) has made over the last few seasons he has the capabilities to really push for a place. “It’s early in the season but if I look at the reaction from a disappointing season for him last season, at least the last two thirds of the season with the injury, he has made a full recovery from that and at the moment is back to where he was before the injury. “I think he has done well and has put himself in position to put pressure on the position. And that’s how it should be. Anyone who is involved in an international squad should be there on merit and feel they can put real competition on that position. “He’s a big personality, a big frame, and his performances for us over the last few seasons have very much warranted him being in that international squad.” Norwich manager Chris Hughton believes goalkeeper John Ruddy is ready to put pressure on England’s number one Joe Hart when the vital World Cup qualifiers get under way next week.center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Read More →