Guardian reporter allowed to return

first_img June 2, 2021 Find out more February 14, 2011 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Guardian reporter allowed to return Follow the news on Russia May 21, 2021 Find out more News to go further Listed as a “foreign agent”, Russia’s most popular independent website risks disappearing Russian media boss drops the pretence and defends Belarus crackdown News ——————————————————————————-8 February 2011 Guardian correspondent’s expulsion seen as warning to all foreign reportersReporters Without Borders is deeply disturbed by Russia’s expulsion of Luke Harding, The Guardian’s Moscow correspondent, regarding it as an explicit and unacceptable warning to all foreign correspondents based in the country. Harding was denied entry on his return to Moscow on 5 February after a visit to the United Kingdom, and was put on a flight back to London.“This is a heavy-handed attempt to get journalists to censor themselves and to prevent impartial coverage of what is happening in Russia,” the press freedom organization said.Harding’s expulsion is all the more alarming as he is veteran foreign correspondent who has been based in Russia for years and had the required accreditation and visa. Rescinding a visa in an arbitrary manner marks a further step away from respect for the rule of law.It also heightens concern about the growing pressure on Russian civil society as the country approaches the 2012 president election in a climate of economic and social tension – tension that its taking its toll on journalists, especially local ones, as seen in last November’s extremely violent attack on Kommersant reporter Oleg Kashin.Denying a Moscow-based correspondent reentry after a trip abroad is a rarely-used procedure but there are precedents. Natalia Morar, a Moldovan journalist who worked in Moscow for the New Times (Novoye Vremya) magazine, suffered this fate in December 2007. Angus Roxburgh of the Sunday Times was the victim of a quid-pro-quo expulsion after the British government headed by Margaret Thatcher expelled 11 suspected Soviet spies in 1989.Russia is ranked 140th out of 178 countries in the 2010 Reporters Without Borders press freedom index. Violence against journalists, impunity for those who physically attack or murder journalists and the glaring lack of media diversity, especially in the broadcast media, pose the main threats to media freedom. RSF_en RussiaEurope – Central Asia News Two Russian journalists persecuted for investigating police corruption Help by sharing this information RussiaEurope – Central Asia Luke Harding, correspondent of the British daily The Guardian who was deported from Russia on 5 February, returned to his job in Moscow on 12 February after being issued a new visa by the government. But the paper said today its expiry date was not indicated and that he could be forced to leave the country again on 31 May, the date his old visa expires.The Russian authorities said he had been expelled because of bureaucratic violations. It was the first time a Western journalist had been deported since 1989 and provoked international reaction. Organisation Receive email alerts May 5, 2021 Find out more Newslast_img read more

Read More →

Nussle talks advocacy, advancement with Australian CUs

first_img ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr continue reading » CUNA President/CEO Jim Nussle addressed global credit union peers Thursday during World Council of Credit Unions’ Australian Credit Union Study Trip. His keynote address at a CEO/Director meeting focused on CUNA’s efforts to advocate, unify, advance and promote the credit union industry.“Credit unions in the U.S. have seen many positive trends in 2018 – from membership growth to increased financial benefits for both members and non-members,” Nussle said. “The credit union difference is our cooperative superpower. It’s our best asset, our competitive advantage, and it extends across the globe.”Last year credit unions provided more than $16 billion in benefits to American consumers, members and non-members alike. The industry also added nearly five million members and grew five times faster than the U.S. population.last_img read more

Read More →

Ferdinand misses Ukraine trip

first_img Press Association Moyes confirmed Ferdinand has picked up a slight groin strain, but that the 34-year-old would have missed the trip anyway. “Rio has a slight groin problem,” said the Scot. Manchester United manager David Moyes has confirmed Rio Ferdinand is among the players who have not flown to Ukraine ahead of Wednesday night’s Champions League encounter with Shakhtar Donetsk.center_img “It is nothing serious but I was never bringing him anyway.” Moyes also confirmed Anderson, Fabio and Wilfried Zaha – who played in last night’s Manchester Senior Cup win over Bolton – were also missing from Tuesday’s flight. At the weekend, Moyes appeared to suggest his side were not contenders for this season’s competition because they did not have enough world class players. However, the Scot is adamant United – who reached the final as recently as 2011 – would be giving their all in a bid to reach Lisbon in May. “Of course we’ll try to win the Champions League,” he said. “That’s part of the job at Manchester United and I’ll do everything I can to try to make that happen.” last_img read more

Read More →

Wenger ready to “fight” to end Arsenal crisis

first_imgArsene Wenger under pressureBrighton, United Kingdom | AFP | Arsene Wenger has grown used to defending himself in recent years but the Arsenal manager’s grip on his position has never seemed less secure ahead of Sunday’s clash with Brighton.A crushing 3-0 loss against Manchester City at the Emirates Stadium on Thursday intensified the criticism directed at Wenger and his players following their limp defeat in the League Cup final at the hands of the same opponents four days previously.The yawning gap between the two sides underlined how far Arsenal have fallen behind the Premier League leaders and the fact the second game was played out in front of thousands of empty seats added to the sense that Wenger’s 22-year reign is entering its final stage. Bad weather contributed to the poor attendance in north London, but there is currently no disguising the dissatisfaction felt by many Arsenal supporters at the club’s current lack of progress on the pitch.Even one of Wenger’s former players, Martin Keown, has urged Arsenal to “throw in the towel” for the Frenchman’s own good. Yet Wenger is calling for his critics to have a calmer perspective, insisting there is no shame in losing to a team of City’s class.“You look at the score and the temptation is to think it was all rubbish, but that is not the case,” he said.“You have to take a perspective, sit back, look at the whole picture and analyse where we were poor and where we were strong, insist on the strong points and get rid of the weak points we showed last night.center_img “They are a top quality team at the moment, they are many points above everybody else, not only us. That means that’s not a coincidence, they lost only one game in the whole Premier League campaign.”Wenger’s side lie sixth, 10 points adrift of fourth place going into the latest round of games, with victory in the Europa League now appearing to offer the best chance of returning to the Champions League.Share on: WhatsApp Pages: 1 2last_img read more

Read More →

Division threatens Premier League’s chances of comeback

first_imgLondon, United Kingdom | AFP | Warring Premier League clubs will meet on Monday with tensions mounting over the divisive ‘Project Restart’ plan to finish the season amid the coronavirus crisis.Premier League chiefs hope to return to action in June, but that goal could be scuppered by an internal battle between clubs fiercely protecting their own interests.The Premier League delayed their latest meeting until after British Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s address to the nation on Sunday.But, for those clubs and players concerned about the rush to return, Johnson’s admission that the virus transmission rate is still too high to significantly ease Britain’s lockdown until at least June 1 was hardly reassuring.Johnson offered no details about the Premier League’s short-term future and indicated that while the general population will be allowed to play sports from Wednesday, they must do so only with those in their own households.And the growing unease about the Premier League’s desire to finish their remaining 92 fixtures only increased on Sunday when Brighton admitted a third player in their squad had contracted the virus.The scheduled return of Germany’s Bundesliga from May 16 had raised hopes that the Premier League could follow suit, yet there are stark differences between the health crisis in both countries.Britain’s death toll from the pandemic passed 30,000 this week to become the worst hit country in Europe.By contrast, Germany has registered just over 7,000 deaths.However, German second tier club Dynamo Dresden have put their entire squad and coaching staff into two-week isolation after two players tested positive for the virus.Also on Sunday, La Liga confirmed five unnamed players have the virus and will go into quarantine.Brighton chief executive Paul Barber has been one of the more vocal critics of the restart scheme and he told the Mail on Sunday: “We have got to be careful that we do not misstep here because if we do, it could ruin lives. It could cost lives. And we cannot afford that.”Testing and player welfare remain major hurdles to overcome, with Norwich midfielder Todd Cantwell summing up the feelings of worried players when he responded to the positive test at Brighton by tweeting: “We are just people too”.– ‘Huge challenge’ – A lack of unity has provoked another complication for the Premier League over the use of neutral venues.League chiefs believe they will only get the government’s green light to restart if the number of venues are limited to reduce the medical, police, security and broadcast personnel required.There are also fears over fans congregating at home stadiums, even though the matches would be played behind closed doors.Leading the resistence to neutral venues are clubs near the bottom of the table and at risk of huge financial losses by dropping out of England’s lucrative top-flight.Brighton had five of their remaining nine games at home, while Aston Villa were due to play six of their last 10 matches at Villa Park.“What we can’t accept is a fundamental change to the competition three-quarters of the way through,” Barber said.“That is not fair and there is absolutely nobody who will convince me otherwise.”Villa’s chief executive Christian Purslow said giving up home advantage “is a massive decision”.Seven of the 20 top-flight clubs would need to officially reject neutral venues to stop the plan going ahead, although it has been reported the issue won’t be put to a vote on Monday.The UEFA deadline for restart proposals is May 25 and League Managers Association chief executive Richard Bevan has warned a failure to reach consensus soon could see the season cancelled.Aware of the animosity between clubs, Crystal Palace chairman Steve Parish conceded it won’t be easy to restart in the current climate.“It may prove beyond us. We have huge challenges in order to get it back to complete the season but we are planning on doing so,” Parish told the BBC.“There are no easy answers. We have to work through it as a collective. I think we will come out with a consensus in the end.”Share on: WhatsApplast_img read more

Read More →

Governor Inslee Proclaims April 16 Healthcare Decisions Day

first_imgFacebook14Tweet0Pin0Submitted by Providence Health & ServicesGov. Jay Inslee has proclaimed April 16, 2018 as Healthcare Decisions Day in Washington. The day recognizes the need for and efforts to encourage individuals to discuss and record choices ahead of time regarding future medical treatment — known as advance care planning — and to have those wishes honored.In honor of Healthcare Decisions Day — and to participate in the national effort spotlighting advance care planning on April 16, National Healthcare Decisions Day — Providence in Southwest Washington has planned the following events:Advance Care Planning Drop-In SessionApril 18, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., Providence St. Peter Hospital, Executive Conference RoomApril 27, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., Providence Centralia Hospital, Chapel Conference RoomInformal opportunity to get resources, discuss advance care planning, and complete advance directive.  Make use of free notary services and/or talk with Certified Respecting Choices® First Steps® ACP Facilitators. (Bring your driver’s license or other identification for notary services.)Advance Care Planning Workshop:  “Are You Prepared?”April 19, 5-6 p.m., Providence St. Peter Hospital, 200 RoomsApril 24, 5-6 p.m., Providence Centralia Hospital, Mother Joseph Conference RoomApril 26, 5-6 p.m., Providence St. Peter Hospital, 200 RoomsOne hour workshop helps you:Increase understanding of Advance Care Planning and documentsConsider personal choices for future health careKnow the characteristics of a good health care agentIdentify steps to complete or update ACP Documents (specifically Advance Directives)Sign up at www.provregister.org (sign up not required by requested for planning purposes).Providence has partnered with Honoring Choices Pacific Northwest (PNW), a joint initiative between the Washington State Hospital Association and the Washington State Medical Association, to inspire conversations about the care people want at the end of life. Honoring Choices PNW’s vision is that everyone will receive care that honors personal values and goals at the end of life.“Healthcare Decisions Day is an opportunity for us individually and as a community to consider the care we would want if we couldn’t make decisions for ourselves,” said Adams. “At Providence, we are proud to help ensure that our patient’s wishes and decisions are heard and documented”Key to advance care planning are advance directives, forms that allow individuals to name a person to make medical decisions for them if they cannot; state values, goals and preferences; and select specific treatment options. Completing an advance directive and discussing it with the named decision-maker and loved ones better ensures personal choices can be honored.For additional information about Honoring Choices PNW, visit www.honoringchoicespnw.org. National efforts around National Healthcare Decisions Day can be found at www.nationalhealthcaredecisionsday.org.last_img read more

Read More →

10 months ago​Stock Market reacts positively to Man Utd axing Mourinho

first_imgTagsPremiership NewsAbout the authorIan FerrisShare the loveHave your say ​Stock Market reacts positively to Man Utd axing Mourinhoby Ian Ferris10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United made money despite having to pay Jose Mourinho an estimated £18m by sacking him, according to a football finance expert.The stock market reacted “positively” to Mourinho’s dismissal on Tuesday with the club’s value increasing by £170m, Kieran Maguire, a lecturer at the University of Liverpool, said.”They’ve probably made money by sacking him,” he added. “He [Mourinho] was turning into a toxic brand for the club,” Maguire told Sky Sports News. “The opportunity to have someone in who could be a bit more media friendly, have a positive impact on commercial sponsors and advertisers – the stock market likes the idea of that.”Manchester United, their success in the stock market and as a commercial entity, is very much based on delivering trophies on the pitch. They can’t go for a sustained time without that.””Manchester United is the world’s biggest sports brand and everyone wants to be associated with that because the club is associated with success,” he said.”The gloss of the moderate success Jose Mourinho achieved was beginning to dust slightly.” last_img read more

Read More →

10 months agoTottenham announce stadium delay until February

first_imgTottenham announce stadium delay until Februaryby Freddie Taylor10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveTottenham have announced another delay for their new stadium moving date.Spurs chief Daniel Levy has apologised to fans on Wednesday after he revealed the club would play all their February fixtures at Wembley.”We have now received a post-Christmas/New Year update from the contractors involved in the critical safety systems at our new stadium.”The past month has seen remedial works take place, software issues resolved and corrected safety equipment installations increase. Testing has also continued.”We are now liaising with the contractors and building control at Haringey Council to determine a schedule of commissioning, building test dates and building control sign-offs, along with formal test event dates.”Given the time required to deliver these and the test events, we can confirm that our Premier League matches against Watford (30 January), Newcastle United (2 February) and Leicester City (10 February) – and our Champions League match against Borussia Dortmund (13 February) – will take place at Wembley Stadium.”Should we continue to progress to the fifth round of the FA Cup and have a home draw, this too would be played at Wembley Stadium (weekend of 16/17 February).” About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Read More →

CBI questions West Bengal minister Partha Chatterjee

first_imgNew Delhi: Senior Trinamool Congress leader and a minister in the West Bengal government, Partha Chatterjee, was on Friday questioned by the CBI in connection with the Saradha chit fund case, it is probing, sources here said.Chatterjee was earlier summoned by the Central Bureau of Investigation to appear before agency officials in Bidhannagar and arrived at their offices in the city around 2:30 pm in the afternoon. The Education Minister of West Bengal was questioned by agency officials for around four hours before he left the CBI offices. This summons came after, the central probe agency had questioned senior TMC member and Rajya Sabha MP Derek O’Brien in connection with the same case. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’Sources in the know had told the Millennium Post at the time that O’Brien was questioned about funds received in the bank accounts of his party’s official newspaper, Jago Bangla. They had alleged that as Publisher of the newspaper, O’Brien was controlling the bank account where the funds were received. It is also alleged that the money paid into the newspaper’s accounts had originated from proceeds of the sale that came through selling some paintings by the West Bengal Chief Minister. Earlier in the case, the CBI had examined Shibaji Panja, a businessman, in connection with the chit fund case, and it was alleged that he used to organised various exhibitions, where paintings by the CM were sold.last_img read more

Read More →