Mayo battle back to beat Cork

first_img Mayo came from behind to defeat reigning champions Cork by 0-11 to 0-10 at Pairc Ui Chaoimh. Cillian O’Connor steered over a late winning free for the westerners, who had started the day with the threat of relegation hanging over them. Dublin will play Mayo and Tyrone will take on Kildare in the NFL semi-finals, as a result of a dramatic day of action. Daniel Goulding, Fintan Goold and Aidan Walsh shot the Rebels into a 0-7 to 0-1 lead, but second half scores from Donal Vaughan, O’Connor and Kevin McLoughlin helped Mayo claw their way back, before they stole a late winner. Kerry retained their Division One status after posting their best performance of the league with a 1-16 to 1-12 win over Tyrone at Healy Park. Tomas O Se’s 32nd minute goal, and a seven points tally shared between Declan O’Sullivan and Kieran Donaghy, sent wind-assisted Kerry in with a 1-13 to 0-5 interval lead Stephen O’Neill netted for Tyrone, and points from Conor Gormley and Conor Clarke and a Mark Donnelly goal narrowed the gap from 12 to one. All-Ireland champions Donegal were relegated to Division Two, along with Down. Dublin’s Paul Mannion scored a late equaliser to give Dublin a 1-10 to 0-13 draw with Donegal and secure top spot in the league table for the Dubs. center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Read More →

Syracuse attack fails to keep up with No. 4 Maryland in home opener

first_img Related Stories Top-ranked Syracuse unable to slow Maryland offense in blowout loss Just 11 seconds into the game, the Syracuse offense was playing from behind.On a day when the Maryland attack put a 19 on the scoreboard, the daunting task of playing catch-up was too much for the Orange.In Syracuse’s home opener Sunday, the Orange’s offense wasn’t enough to overcome the No. 4 Terrapins (2-0) in a 19-11 loss at the Carrier Dome. No. 1 SU (1-1) couldn’t repeat the offensive execution it demonstrated in its season opener, a 21-8 win at Jacksonville on Jan. 13.The Orange received scoring from 11 different players in that victory, but only four players found the back of the net against Maryland. Alyssa Murray scored three goals, and Katie Webster and Kayla Treanor each recorded a pair of scores Sunday.But the secondary scorers were nowhere to be seen. SU head coach Gary Gait said Wednesday he was confident his role players would step up if the Terps defense shut down the Orange’s best threats.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textBut that wasn’t exactly the case Sunday.“Of course, I’d like a little bit more balance,” Gait said. “I think there were opportunities for some other players to score, and they didn’t have a lot of luck with it.”Syracuse attack Michelle Tumolo recorded a hat trick at Maryland last year. She improved that tally by scoring four on Sunday, but her last two came in the final 13 minutes of the game, when the Orange already trailed by more than six goals.The Orange was competitive in the first half. It never held the lead, but was only down by two goals going into the break.But the Terps, who netted the final two goals of the half, came out with three straight goals to break the game open. A 9-2 run for Maryland from 3:33 in the first half to 14:31 in the second half put the game away.While the SU defense wasn’t there to stop the bleeding, the attack wasn’t there to break the momentum, either.The Orange’s attack couldn’t shake the Maryland defenders on its cuts. The Terps kept deflecting Tumolo’s passes to the front of the cage. She finished the game having committed six turnovers.“Gary pulled me aside and told me I got to go to the goal more,” Tumolo said. “They stuck to the cutters well.”But the issue wasn’t so much what Maryland’s defense was throwing at the Orange, Gait said. Syracuse didn’t help itself.“I think it was just errors,” Gait said. “It wasn’t great decision-making on our part. We had opportunities where we could’ve dictated and I think we started second-guessing ourselves.”Gait said his team didn’t play with confidence. Assistant coach Brett Queener said Wednesday that confidence was something the players should carry themselves with going into Sunday’s game, having upset the Terps in College Park, Md., a year ago.That poise was nonexistent in the rematch.There’s work to be done on the offensive drawing board, Gait said, but he isn’t agonizing over the lack of offensive execution.“I think we need people to step up and take charge. We have 15 more regular season games to figure it out,” Gait said. “I think certainly all our players on the offensive end can be a threat to score and we need to utilize that.” Comments Published on February 18, 2013 at 1:19 am Contact Phil: [email protected] | @PhilDAbbcenter_img Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

Read More →

De Ligt aiming for UCL after record-breaking Juve arrival

first_img0Shares0000Matthijs de Ligt has joined Cristiano Ronaldo at Juventus after knocking him out of the Champions League last season © AFP/File / EMMANUEL DUNANDTURIN, Italy, Jul 19 – Matthijs de Ligt is targeting the Champions League with Juventus after the Serie A side pried him from Ajax thanks to the largest fee ever paid for a defender.The 19-year-old, one of the most coveted young players in world football, was unveiled in Turin on Friday after moving to the Italian champions for a combined fee of 75 million euros (Sh8.5bn) plus 10.5 million euros of add-ons. The previous highest paid for a defender was the 84.5 million euros that Liverpool paid Southampton a year ago for another Dutchman Virgil van Dijk.Juve haven’t won the tournament since beating Ajax in Rome in 1996 and De Ligt is hoping to end that drought of European glory after missing out himself thanks to a gut-wrenching semi-final defeat to Tottenham Hotspur last season.“There are three competitions we can play for, maybe four with the Supercup — championship, Coppa Italia and Champions League. We want to win everything,” said De Ligt, who turns 20 next month.“I think this is the most important thing … I think a club like Juventus wants to win so it won’t be different this year.”De Ligt, who has signed a five-year deal with Maurizio Sarri’s side worth a reported 12 million euros a season, said that Cristiano Ronaldo’s appeal for him to join Juventus made no difference to his decision, as he had already made up his mind to join the five-time Ballon d’Or winner at the Allianz Stadium.De Ligt had also been linked with Manchester United, Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain after his impressive performances for a young Ajax side that won the domestic double but missed out on the Champions League final on away goals thanks to Lucas Moura’s 96th-minute winner for Spurs in Amsterdam.“When the season was over I was going to see if I can enjoy a vacation and get some rest and then after join a new club,” he told reporters.“At that moment, I was pretty sure it was Juventus, but obviously it was really nice that someone big like Cristiano Ronaldo asked me if I wanted to join Juventus.“It was a big compliment but it was not a difference between joining Juventus or not.”De Ligt’s arrival adds young blood to an ageing defence that features 34-year-old Giorgio Chiellini and Leonardo Bonucci, 32.He played 117 times for Ajax in all competitions and scored 13 goals, including the winner in Turin as Ajax eliminated Juventus in the Champions League quarter-finals.De Ligt has also played 17 times for the Netherlands, forming a formidable central defensive partnership with Liverpool’s Van Dijk.De Ligt is this summer’s latest big-money transfer following the 120-million-euro deal that took France striker Antoine Griezmann from Atletico Madrid to Barcelona and the 126 million euros that Atletico splashed out on 19-year-old forward Joao Felix from Benfica.Barca also shelled out 75 million euros for De Ligt’s former Ajax teammate Frenkie de Jong, while La Liga rivals Real Madrid bagged Belgian playmaker Eden Hazard from Chelsea for an initial 100 million euros, with another 34 million euros in potential add-ons.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Read More →