India to seek damages from Nestle over ‘unsafe noodles’

first_img Sharing is caring! Share 77 Views   no discussions Share Tweetcenter_img BusinessFood & DiningLifestyle India to seek damages from Nestle over ‘unsafe noodles’ by: Associated Free Press – June 8, 2015 Share A picture taken on June 5, 2015 shows an Indian shopkeeper taking packets of Nestle ‘Maggi’ instant noodles from the shelves in his shop in Siliguri. (Photo:AFP)NEW DELHI, India (AFP) – India’s government is preparing to seek damages from Nestle after a food scare involving excessive lead in its hugely popular Maggi noodles sparked a nationwide recall, an official said Monday.The consumer affairs ministry is to seek an undisclosed amount of compensation from the Swiss giant for false advertising after the food safety regulator branded the noodles “unsafe” and “hazardous”.Ministry deputy secretary G.C Rout said the case would be filed in the National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission, a semi-judicial body that can levy fines against companies.“We are going to file a case against Nestle and are presently collecting the material for the case,” Rout told AFP, saying the minimum amount that could be sought was 10 million rupees ($156,000).“There are sections of the consumer protection act that empower state and central governments to file a case in the larger interest of the consumers.”A Nestle spokesman said the company was not willing to comment as it had not yet seen the case.The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) banned Nestle on Friday from making and selling the noodles after tests by some states found lead levels above statutory limits.Nestle, which denies the charges and says the noodles are safe to eat, had already announced it was pulling the product from sale as it seeks to contain growing safety concerns.At least six states including India’s capital have announced temporary bans on the sale of the instant noodles in the past few days, after officials said test results showed high lead levels.The case came as the FSSAI announced Monday it was ordering testing of other brands of noodles as well as packet pasta amid growing concerns over the food safety scare.FSSAI said the 33 products made by nine companies including Nestle India and ITC (Indian Tobacco Company) will be tested for lead, arsenic and 19 other substances.Nestle global chief executive Paul Bulcke said on Friday its noodles were “safe for consumption” after flying into India to try to reassure consumers over the safety scare.Nestle has been selling its Maggi brand for over three decades in India, and has 80 percent of the country’s instant noodle market. Several celebrities have endorsed Maggi over the years, including Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan.last_img read more

Read More →

Boracay to welcome New Year sans fireworks display

first_imgThe Boracay Inter-Agency Task Force(BIATF) stood pat with its rehabilitation guidelines to ban fireworks after 9p.m. every day due to the alarm and distress it may cause to the bats andpeople.  Bautista, however, said the public canstart seeing fireworks around 500 meters from the shoreline in mainland Malay,Aklan on Dec. 31.(With a report fromAkean Forum/PN) “We have no choice but to follow it,”he added. The Boracay Island, voted Asia’s best island by Conde Nast Traveler, used to welcome the coming year with huge fireworks display, parties and celebrations before the national government temporarily closed the island to tourists for rehabilitation. NELSON TALIDONG JR. BORACAY – There will be no fireworksdisplay in this island on New Year’s Eve, acting Malay mayor Frolibar Bautistasaid.   “Bawalang fireworks sa dagat. Doon na lang kami sa Balusbos, sa mainland Malay, mag-countdown dahil sa Executive Order (EO) No. 28,” Bautista said.  The EO 28 designates communityfireworks display to minimize the risks of injuries and casualties.   Boracay Island, voted Asia’s bestisland by Conde Nast Traveler, used to welcome the coming year with hugefireworks display, parties and celebrations before the national governmenttemporarily closed the island to tourists on April 26, 2018 forrehabilitation.  It reopened on Oct. 25, 2018 with newrules and regulations implemented by the Boracay task force in an attempt topreserve the island.  last_img read more

Read More →

Orange beats Hofstra, Holy Cross in scrimmages with early burst, depth

first_imgTwo quick leads ended in bench-emptying wins for Syracuse as the Orange swept its season-opening scrimmages with Hofstra and Holy Cross Saturday afternoon in the Carrier Dome.JoJo Marasco and Derek Maltz clicked from the outset, firing SU out to an early 7-1 lead against Hofstra before ultimately running out 15-10 winners. The Orange started more slowly against Holy Cross, resting Derek Maltz and Brian Megill, but SU’s fringe players outlasted the Crusaders 16-6 and proved that the depth and talent that makes Syracuse lacrosse what it is, is still there.“To see that they came in there, played as well as they did, they didn’t miss a beat,” regular defender Steve Ianzito said. “I can do as well as I do on the field, come off the field and cheer for my teammates.”It took SU four minutes to find its first goal of the afternoon. Luke Cometti buried a feed from Kevin Rice. Then, the Dome played host to the preseason All-American Marasco and Maltz show.In the 23:10 that followed Cometti’s opener, the Orange scored six goals – all of which were either assisted or scored by Marasco or Maltz.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textMarasco masterfully orchestrated SU’s attack, alternating between midfield and toying with Hofstra defenders behind the net. Maltz pulled his mark in and out of the slot, peeling away from goal for any of Marasco, Rice and Cometti to crash the crease.But before Syracuse darted out of the tunnel shouting, eager to face its first opponents of the season, Hofstra battled out a 15-12 victory over Holy Cross. It was a test in itself for the Orange to come out ready against a team that was already warmed up.“Our goal in the locker room, knowing that they scrimmaged before us was to get a good stretch in, get a good warm-up and come out hot,” Marasco said. “We won a couple faceoffs real fast and that was huge for us.”Heading into the half, nothing was going to keep the Orange first-teamers from running through Hofstra, except Syracuse head coach John Desko. He benched Maltz and other key players like defender Brian Megill. Hofstra crept back into the game through the third quarter. And with three unassisted goals in the space of two minutes in the fourth, the Pride trailed just 10-9.But with about four minutes remaining, Desko unleashed his goal-scoring hounds and put the game out of reach. Rice returned to the fray, scoring from in close and showing Hofstra who SU’s first team was and why.“I don’t think we worry about it as much as others,” Desko said of the score and result. “It was good I thought for the psyche that we pulled ahead at the end because I know Hofstra kept their starters out there for the whole time.”Maltz finished with four goals and an assist, Cometti score three and Marasco assisted on three against Hofstra.If Desko’s players were worried, they hardly showed it, and in the closing minutes of the fourth quarter the second team put the result out of doubt. The game ended prematurely when Eric DeJohn hurdled himself into the crease from the left wing, slipping the ball past Hofstra goaltender Jason Rosenzweig while getting clattered by a high hit that left him on the turf for a minute.The foul and the game were then waved off, but the goal stood and the scrimmage ended 15-10. He did not return for the second game against Holy Cross.Against the Crusaders, the Orange got off to a slightly slower start with regulars Maltz, Ianzito and Megill in sweat clothes.“We didn’t play him in the second scrimmage because he really doesn’t have anything to prove for us,” Desko said of Maltz. “We want to keep him healthy right now.”John Hannan opened the scoring for Holy Cross at 13:08, cutting in from the right past Kyle Carey unassisted. But Billy Ward answered with an offspeed shovel shot, signaling the Orange’s impending dominance.The Crusaders dueled fairly evenly in the first half, playing a more enticing half-field game, but the Orange defense ensured Holy Cross’s early lead would be its only.In the first minute of the second quarter, with SU up 3-1, Sean Young and Brandon Mullins caught Clay Haarmann behind Bobby Wardwell’s net and ruthlessly stripped the Hofstra attack. And with the Orange leading 9-4 in the third, Ryan Palasek and Kyle Carey sandwiched James Kennedy in transition. As play stopped while the HC senior stripped off his gloves and put his shoe back on behind the end line Joe Fazio shouted at instructions, organizing the defense.SU conceded goals just twice more, with both coming in garbage time well after the regulars had left the game. And once more a Syracuse goal ended the game as Brenny Daly hammered home with 18 seconds remaining.The head referee waved his arms and blew the whistle. The day was done, and Syracuse had proven itself.“When they see a goal as the end result of running an offense it gives more validation to what they’re supposed to be doing,” Desko said of his players. “I think they execute better.” Comments Published on January 26, 2013 at 7:11 pm Contact Jacob: [email protected] | @Jacob_Klinger_ Facebook Twitter Google+center_img Related Stories Syracuse adjusts to rule changes in season-opening scrimmagesScrimmage performances give Syracuse hope at faceoff Xlast_img read more

Read More →