India to seek damages from Nestle over ‘unsafe noodles’

first_img Sharing is caring! Share 77 Views   no discussions Share Tweetcenter_img BusinessFood & DiningLifestyle India to seek damages from Nestle over ‘unsafe noodles’ by: Associated Free Press – June 8, 2015 Share A picture taken on June 5, 2015 shows an Indian shopkeeper taking packets of Nestle ‘Maggi’ instant noodles from the shelves in his shop in Siliguri. (Photo:AFP)NEW DELHI, India (AFP) – India’s government is preparing to seek damages from Nestle after a food scare involving excessive lead in its hugely popular Maggi noodles sparked a nationwide recall, an official said Monday.The consumer affairs ministry is to seek an undisclosed amount of compensation from the Swiss giant for false advertising after the food safety regulator branded the noodles “unsafe” and “hazardous”.Ministry deputy secretary G.C Rout said the case would be filed in the National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission, a semi-judicial body that can levy fines against companies.“We are going to file a case against Nestle and are presently collecting the material for the case,” Rout told AFP, saying the minimum amount that could be sought was 10 million rupees ($156,000).“There are sections of the consumer protection act that empower state and central governments to file a case in the larger interest of the consumers.”A Nestle spokesman said the company was not willing to comment as it had not yet seen the case.The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) banned Nestle on Friday from making and selling the noodles after tests by some states found lead levels above statutory limits.Nestle, which denies the charges and says the noodles are safe to eat, had already announced it was pulling the product from sale as it seeks to contain growing safety concerns.At least six states including India’s capital have announced temporary bans on the sale of the instant noodles in the past few days, after officials said test results showed high lead levels.The case came as the FSSAI announced Monday it was ordering testing of other brands of noodles as well as packet pasta amid growing concerns over the food safety scare.FSSAI said the 33 products made by nine companies including Nestle India and ITC (Indian Tobacco Company) will be tested for lead, arsenic and 19 other substances.Nestle global chief executive Paul Bulcke said on Friday its noodles were “safe for consumption” after flying into India to try to reassure consumers over the safety scare.Nestle has been selling its Maggi brand for over three decades in India, and has 80 percent of the country’s instant noodle market. Several celebrities have endorsed Maggi over the years, including Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan.last_img read more

Read More →

O’Connor takes control at Leinster

first_img O’Connor, who currently holds the same role with Aviva Premiership club Leicester, has agreed a three-year deal and will link up with Leinster on July 1. He will succeed Joe Schmidt, who was recently appointed as the new Ireland coach in succession to Declan Kidney. Leinster have announced the appointment of Australian Matt O’Connor as their new head coach. O’Connor, 42, is a former Australian international who coached Australia A before joining the Leicester staff in 2009. During his time at Welford Road, Leicester have won two Premiership titles and reached the 2010 Heineken Cup final. Tigers are also through to this season’s title play-offs and will play Harlequins next Saturday. O’Connor said: “I am delighted to join Leinster. The playing staff, coaching team and facilities are first-class, and I have been hugely encouraged by the hunger within the province to push on despite enjoying an unprecedented period of success on the field in recent years. “I look forward to working with the province’s established and burgeoning talent from the renowned Leinster academy, and I am also pleased to work with the current coaching team who have played such a key part in the province’s success over the last four years. “At this time my focus remains with Leicester, but I would like to thank the Leinster board for this vote of confidence. My family and I are hugely excited about starting this new chapter in our lives.” And Leinster chief executive Mick Dawson added: “We are delighted that Matt has agreed to become head coach, and we believe that he will be carry on the fine work which has been done over the course of the last eight years. “Matt joins Leinster with an impressive pedigree. We were impressed by his vision for Leinster Rugby, and speaking to him it is clear that he is excited about the opportunity. We look forward to working with him over the coming years. “Obviously, we are still in contention for three trophies – the Amlin Challenge Cup, RaboDirect PRO12 and British & Irish Cup, and all of our focus will be on trying to end the season on a high in all three competitions.” center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Read More →